Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Oh, the therapy of knitting...

Yarn is my yoga. Knitting, my meditation. So finishing a project in the middle of a much needed therapy session is a bit of sweet sorrow. As I searched for another way to continue my meditation, I contemplate the unspeakable ways that I use knitting to calm and focus myself.

Everyone needs a way to get away. The rhythmic clicking of the needles... the luscious softness of the yarn... the beautiful colors... they all melt away the tension that daily stress brings. I find myself sticking to simple patterns when my stress level is low, but when I really can't stop thinking about work or family issues, I choose something that challenges me. Cables... lace... anything that forces me to focus on the task at hand.

We fool ourselves into thinking that we can multi-task. Actually brain research shows that humans cannot "multi-task," but we really just switch back and forth rapidly. This is definitely not a good idea when learning to cable or knit lace. ha ha!

Now, I finished tonight a baby blanket that turned out really well. It is simple. stockinette all the way. I used the random stripe generator to come up w/ the pattern:

I used the random stripe generator until I got a pattern that appealed to me. Here is the 100 line pattern. I actually did all 100 and repeated the skinny stripes again.

With larger (size 8) needles, CO 100 in 1st color.

In stockinette, here are the row repeats:
3 of maroon
3 of gray
3 of maroon
3 of white
3 of gray
1 of maroon
8 of white
3 of gray
1 of maroon
8 of white
2 of maroon
13 of white
5 of gray
5 of white
5 of maroon
21 of gray
8 of white
21 of maroon

Change to smaller needle (size 7) and maroon yarn. knit along top edge, K1FB at corner. Pick up and knit stitches along side. K1FB at corner. Pick up and knit along bottom edge. K1FB at corner. Pick up and knit stitches along side. K1FB at corner and join. Work 5 rounds in garter stitch, increasing as before on each knit row at corners. Bind off.

note: in case you noticed, yes the number repeats on the rows are Fibonacci numbers. Ok, so I really am a nerd. LOL

No comments: